This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Update action support

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:28 AM
Edited Feb 26, 2015 at 11:28 AM
First of all thanks for the great new release.

I come back to this discussion:
Update action support
In general linq is meant to query, i.e. read/load/transform data. So you might want to apply a filter expression to an entity set to define which entities to be updated/deleted. However, the specific action, i.e. update/delete, you would probably implement on server side and expose a corresponding service method.
You are right, but there are same cases where these actions (insert,update,delete) need to be controlled more exactly by the client.

The first usage refers to the "batch" update/delete operations that I mentioned earlier (for performance reasons it would be practical to be able to perform such actions with one single remote call via WCF).

The second practical usage would be when using transactions, where the client would send a "batch" (list) of different insert/update/delete expressions (commands) that have to be executed within one database transaction.

Any plans to extend Remote.Linq in this direction ?
Feb 26, 2015 at 12:53 PM
Thanks for your post, I forgot about this point you've already mentioned earlier...

Would you be able to provide a sample for insert, update, and delete of how you would do this by using Entity Framework directly?

And do you see this specifically for EF or do you think this should be available/applicable generically?
Mar 2, 2015 at 4:32 PM
I will try to think about some concrete samples regarding transactions.